Fashion Blog Mon Nov 15 2021
The professional wig makers don’t start the design process until they get a few reference photos before dealing with hair loss. After finding out about the style they choose for their hair, the wig makers advise the type of wig fabric, color, and length the person should wear. In this guide, we explore how to make a wig by an expert.
Making a wig is a complicated process. You have to use the following stuff to make this become easier:
- A wig stand and mannequin head
- Needle and thread
- A human hair/ synthetic lace closure or frontal and 3-4 hair bundles
- Rat-tail comb
- Custom wig cap for wig making
Other than the reference photos, a wig maker should have a head measurement of the person to create her custom-fitted wig cap. Experts can help you measure to make sure the wig fits well.
To make your process become easier, you have to keep your wig head firm while doing. A wig stand will help you a lot in this situation. Then place a wig cap over the wig head.
To make a perfect wig, my customer often buy 1 closure/frontal and 3-4 bundles with the same color and texture. You don't need to cut or trim hair in this step. All you need is detangle and make it ready to sew in.
You have to sew the closure/frontal to the hair cap first. A sewing machine is highly recommend because it can help you shorten the time. After that, you should sew weave to hair cap to fill the space from the back to the top of the wig.
After getting the completed wig, you should visit a personal hairstylist who can provide your desired shape. Wig makers often keep wigs unfinished so you can style and cut them to your liking. When cutting and styling hair, wear the wig. This will allow the stylist to shape your face and see how the hair will fall.
Most wig makers took at least 5-7 days to create any new custom wig. However, In recent years, with the support of many tools and machine, time to make that one be shortened about 1-2 days. This is the minimum time requirement for guaranteeing the highest quality that is feasible for your custom-designed wig.
With many steps and time to make a wig, Does it cost much? The cost depends on the quality of each material to make this wig. If you make a wig with high quality human hair, you have to pay more than with synthetic one. A perfect wigs can costs more than $200.
You might also be asked to approve the type of supplemental hair that can be utilized in the wig-making process. However, the cost of the supplemental hair will be added to the overall cost of the wig.
Taking care of a wig is essential to maintain its quality and prolong its lifespan. Here are some tips on how to properly care for your newly made custom wig:
1. Brushing: Use a special wig comb to gently detangle the hair. Start from the ends and work your way up to avoid causing any damage or pulling out strands.
2. Washing: The frequency depends on how often you use your wig. We suggest you should wash your hair after each 10-15 times of using. Choose a non-sulfate shampoo to wash your hair helps you prolong your wig 10% longer.
3. Drying: At first, you should gently pat the wig with a towel to remove excess water. The best is let your wig natural dry. However, if you don't have time, you can use blow dryer at a medium heat to dry your hair.
4. Storage: When not in use, store the wig on a wig stand or in a clean, dry place away from direct sunlight. Avoid folding or crushing the wig to prevent any permanent creases or damage.
Follow these care instructions to keep your custom wig in great condition and enhance your natural beauty for a long time. Remember, proper care and maintenance are key to enjoying the full benefits of your custom-designed wig.
We hope now you understand what do you need to make a wig and the importance of collecting hair of great quality and length. You should ensure the head measurement is done properly; otherwise, the wig won’t fit perfectly. Moreover, ask the wig maker for the cost and examples of the types of wigs they can create for your head.
>>> Read more: How to pick transparent vs hd lace wig <<<